Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dining Room Makeover - on a budget!

Ever since the day we moved in our house two years ago I have hated the barnyard red painted on the dining room walls. I feel it dates the house and it's barnyard red with yellow - I always think of roosters when I see it. Well, I finally did it - I painted the dining room and gave it a face lift while on a budget!
Before

To give the dining room it's facelift,  I  painted, added different artwork, hung some guaze sheers and of course - candles.......and waa - la! A contemporary and relaxing space to enjoy meals with family and friends. Some things I purchased but I reused the rug, candle holder (a glass cake stand) and furniture of course. I also straightened up the built-in cabinet to contain neutral colors only. In order to make the red furniture fit in I used a table runner to break up the color and coordinate with the sheers which I love.
After
So if you do the math I spent a grand total of $188. I purchased some great prints from HomeGoods ( the flower print was a splurge but it had made exact color pallet)  as well as the more expensive sheers from Target - I feel they make the room have that airy feel and they are long enough to give that luxe look. I did save on paint by doing it myself and purchasing bulk white generic candles and a marked down table runner. I also purchased the Target brand hardware which saved me $20. I feel great about this face-life and I now love my dining room! 

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I wish you lived closer. I seriously need help in this department and don't even know where to begin!