Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Taxes Suck!

So somehow I was nominated to attempt to do our taxes this year. I have always done my taxes and our taxes (since tying the knot) using turbotax. It was always pretty straightforward and easy. However this year is a quest - a quest to regain my sanity!! Let's look at what I have to manage in this year's taxes.
  • Jarred's EngleMartin job
  • Jarred's Real Estate flips
  • Jarred's Side Consulting Job
  • Job expenses for EM
  • Job expenses for his other 2 jobs
Sure I could just enter all of the money earned but WE NEED RIGHT OFFS!!!!! So hence the loss of my sanity! Can you deduct mortgage interest for home office even if it's deducted already ....can we even deduct home office expenses since it's a part time gig?? I know I can read the IRS Manual but do I have time?? This is what accountants are for! I can claim to do a lot of things but jumbling numbers and turning them in the be accounted for is not one of them. I'm pretty sure that if I turn it in we'll get audited and I'll go to jail. It's so confusing. I think Jarred likes to watch me cringe as I enter numbers and watch the refund go red back to green back to red. Isn't this what an accountant is for? I know TurboTax is so easy and reliable but I'm scared to death to hit the send button. You have to have an actual knowledge of tax law to do these detailed taxes. Even HR Block shoudn't touch these! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiring an accountant will probably be worth the money/deductions he/she will find you!

Amanda said...

Jarred seems to think Turbotax will find more deductions than an accountant but he says we will take them to an accountant so he can double check them....dear Lord. Makes soooooo much sense since I have so much time with this energy filled little girl. Gotta love Jarred.