Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Julia's Kiss From An Angel Sends Us to the Opthamologist


Since Julia was born she has had a tiny white dot on the pupil of her eye – I say it’s where an angel kissed her. It has never seemed to bother her and her eye never does anything out of the ordinary (water, get lazy) so it hasn’t worried me too much. Of course I worried, I googled what they originally suspected it was only to tell myself that I could make myself worry over nothing. Since becoming a mother I have become more laid back and not so quick to freak out over things. Yesterday was the big day – her ophthalmologist appointment.
Dr. Donahue explained that Julia has a cataract – aren’t old people supposed to get those? Plus I took my prenatal vitamins religiously so why does my daughter have an eye defect??? Well, the cataract is nothing to worry about. At least he says so. I am trying not to go Google crazy. However, while there he discovered Julia is extremely far sighted in BOTH eyes. Yes babies are born with horrible vision and it gradually improves but apparently my baby girl’s is a bit worse than the average baby. He assured me that it could correct itself (as it does in 99% of babies) but to watch for lazy/cross eyes because her eyes could cross when she’s 1 or 2. This is apparently the main cause and since no one ever takes their babies to the ophthalmologist, it isn’t discovered early enough to stop it. So I guess her dot is more like a birth mark – a kiss from an angel. If it wasn’t for that harmless cataract, Julia’s eyes may have crossed in a couple years and her eyes damaged permanently. I am trying not to worry about it as there is nothing we can do about it to correct it this early. His Rx – play with her and continue to stimulate her. I can do that!
She has a four month check up in March so I hope he tells us her vision has since improved. You have a baby and you want them to have every advantage possible. You want them to play sports, learn an instrument, and become a dancer….then when you find out that they might be at a disadvantage a part of you breaks a little bit. However, Julia is already demonstrating that she is a motivated and happy baby. I have no reason to believe that this will stop our little lady from doing whatever it is she wants to do.

No comments: