Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New Moon - New Adventure

Today Julia and I met my friend Julia and her new baby girl Piper to see a movie. Movie of choice - New Moon. I haven't read the books and am not a swooning teenager so why New Moon- I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Okay, so I get it. Everyone loves vampires right now and I must admit that I am a huge fan of True Blood on HBO. I could see how this book/idea appeals to so many girls and women. I however, found myself wishing we would have seen Blind Side for a couple of reasons, mainly being I'm sure it would have been quieter.
This was not Julia's first trip to the movies. When she was only 4 weeks old we attempted to take her to see Quinton Terrentino's Inglourious Bastards. Let me stop you there before you ask what was I thinking - I was still on pain meds and hormones were still pumping through my body so I didn't put two and two together. It was super loud and scared the poor baby to the point we just had to leave. Plus we were still new to the whole calming the baby concept. So why did I choose New Moon with all it's loud wearwolves, vampires and theatrical music?

I assumed it was more of a lovey dovey kind of movie. Even those can get loud at a movie theatre. Julia did pretty well considering. She was overly due for a nap upon arrival but I refuse to be one of those moms tied to their child's sleep schedule. I gave her a bottle immediately and then she wanted to play. So here I am trying to "quiet play" with this baby. She let out one loud yell (which was a warning) and at that point I took her outside and walked her to sleep. She did get a 45 minute nap in somehow. I guess "sleeping like a baby" really does mean something. With violent wearwolves fighting in the background she somehow managed to stay asleep. With about 10 minutes left in the movie she woke up and became restless-I-am-so-over-this baby.

I must admit I was so glad when it was over. It was a movie much worthy of watching at the movies but with a 4 month old....not exactly relaxing.



On another note, I am proud of myself for taking her and managing her the whole time. It gives me sense of pride and accomplishment to know that I am figuring out this mother thing. Would I do it again? Maybe if the movie was a complete love story...sure.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Kudos to you for still having a life after baby. I know that "going to the movies, going on vacation, etc" change after kids. However, they don't have to be over...just tweaked a bit! Way to go Mommy!